Sunday, February 13, 2011

Surprise!!


Bermuda 2005
This had been a most enjoyable and uplifting project, to invite your friends and family to share their feelings, memories, photos and birthday greetings as you turn 40.  I have to give Susie credit for coming up with the idea and creating and maintaining the blog.  My role was to invite and encourage people to participate.  The final product is an impressive collection of tributes.

What I didn’t anticipate is the way the many tributes and memories have moved me, reminded me why I was attracted to you in the first place and once again confirmed the wisdom of my decision to marry you.  My hope is that reading these postings will bring back fond memories and help you realize what a significant impact you have had on many, many people, including me.  As you encounter discouraging moments ahead, you can remember or re-read these postings and be uplifted.

We have known each other for nearly 22 of your 40 years and been married for almost 18 of those years.  I have always admired your calm demeanor and your ability to just be yourself.  There is never any pretense or guile.  You have strong opinions but you respect the right of others to believe otherwise and you are a natural peacemaker.  I hope some of those qualities have rubbed off on me.

Over the years, you have demonstrated your abundant love, support and loyalty to me.  I am not aware of even one time that you have complained about my work commitments and travel or my callings at church, all of which have often taken me away from the family.  Because of this, I am able to work, travel and serve with focus and a calm mind, knowing that you are supportive rather than resentful.  That is a priceless gift to me.

Among the themes repeated in this blog is the wonderful mother you are, and I agree.  I know you don’t always feel so wonderful, but the truth is that you put your heart and soul into your role as a mother.  I appreciate the way you teach our children to love to cook, the way you seem to find time to spend time with each child and the way you support the kids in their many activities.  The children love you and trust you.  Most importantly, they know you love the Lord and they see your testimony in action as you serve others.

I could write plenty more about how much you mean to me…but I won’t right here.  I love you and I am grateful you are mine for eternity!!

Love,
Erik

On our honeymoon at DisneyWorld in 1993


Celebrating your 30th birthday at The French Room restaurant in downtown Dallas

Hanalei Valley on Kauai, Hawaii - 2005

YW Camp with Amanda & Ashley - 2009
Washington DC Temple 2009
In NYC, September 2009
On the BYU campus - 2008
Back at BYU in 2010



 After our first 5k in 2009



No comments:

Post a Comment